Important Food Safety InformationNature's Variety News - February 11, 2010
Dear Nature’s Variety Customers,
We want to inform you that Nature’s Variety has initiated a voluntary recall of our Chicken Formula Raw Frozen Diet for dogs and cats with the “Best If Used By” date of 11/10/10 because these products may be contaminated with Salmonella.The only products affected are limited to chicken medallions, patties, and chubs with a “Best If Used By” date of 11/10/10.This includes:
- 3 lb chicken medallions (UPC# 7 69949 60130 2) with a “Best If Used By” date of 11/10/10
- 6 lb chicken patties (UPC# 7 69949 60120 3) with a “Best If Used By” date of 11/10/10
- 2 lb chicken chubs (UPC# 7 69949 60121 0) with a “Best If Used By” date of 11/10/10
Look for the “Best If Used By” date on the back of the package directly above the handling instructions.
Please be assured, no human or pet illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this issue. Also, no other Nature’s Variety products are affected by this issue.
If you have purchased a bag of Nature’s Variety Chicken Formula Raw Frozen Diet (medallions, patties, or chubs) with the “Best if Used By” date of 11/10/10, we ask that you take one of the following steps.
- If your package has not been opened, please return the unopened product to your retailer for a full refund or replacement.
- If your package has been opened, please dispose of the raw food in a safe manner by securing it in a covered trash receptacle. Then, bring your receipt (or the empty package in a sealed bag) to your local retailer for a full refund or replacement.
We truly appreciate your cooperation, and we apologize for any inconvenience that this matter may have caused for you.
If you'd like to speak with one of our representatives regarding this issue, you can call our dedicated Customer Care line 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 800-374-3142. Or, you can email us by clicking the Contact Us link above.
Please click here to read our news release regarding this incident. If you have any additional questions, please click here to read a full list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to this matter.
Our Commitment to Quality
We want to reassure you that your pet's health and safety has and always will be our top priority. Our quality control and quality assurance programs include but are not limited to: Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOP’s), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s), a Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Points (HACCP) program, regular lot segregation, and other industry best practices. Our manufacturing facility also adheres to these specific quality measures:
- Our ingredients are sourced from USDA inspected facilities, and/or facilities regulated by the FDA
- We adhere to state and federal regulations regarding product safety
- Our manufacturing facility is regularly monitored by third party auditors
- Our manufacturing facility is a USDA Certified Organic Processing Facility and adheres to USDA and EU standards
In addition to the industry best practices listed above, and in an abundance of caution, we’re taking additional steps in our manufacturing process to ensure that our products are free of all pathogenic bacteria. All Nature’s Variety raw frozen products will now undergo a “test and hold” period before being released for sale.
As always, Nature’s Variety is fully committed to maintaining the highest quality standards in the pet food industry. Thank you for your continued trust in Nature’s Variety.
CEO, Nature's Variety